Carve the perfect Jack O Lantern
- Choose a visually appealing pumpkin. Make sure that its coloring is an even deep orange free from spots, bruises and soft spots. The flesh should feel hard, and not give easily. If it has a stem, make sure it is attached.
- Use a pumpkin carving saw to cut out a large hole in the bottom of your pumpkin, a little larger than your fist. Scoop out all the goo inside.
- Tape your pattern if you’re using one onto the pumpkin, and, using a poking tool (or a nail), just barely poke through the pattern into the pumpkin flesh, following the lines of the pattern. Remove the pattern.
- Begin carving out the center or more delicate areas of your pattern first, working your way out section by section (this way the pressure from your hand won’t break the design).
- Light you pumpkin with a regular candle or battery operated candle.